Deadbolts are a popular security option for both residential and commercial properties. They protect against forced entry, making them essential to your security system. Let’s explore the several types of deadbolts available and how they help safeguard your property.
- Single Cylinder Deadbolts. These locks feature a keyhole on the exterior and a thumb-turn on the interior. They offer a balance of security and convenience, as they’re easy to operate from the inside without a key. However, they may be vulnerable to forced entry if a nearby window can be broken to reach the thumb-turn.
- Double Cylinder Deadbolts. Double-cylinder deadbolts require a key for the door’s exterior and interior sides. This design offers additional security, particularly for doors with glass panels or windows, as an intruder cannot simply break the glass and turn the thumb-turn to gain entry. However, they can pose a safety concern in emergencies, as a key is required to unlock the door from the inside.
- Vertical Deadbolts. Vertical deadbolts prevent intruders from prying or jimmying the door open. They have a vertical bolt that slides into a set of rings, making it more challenging for burglars to force the door open with a crowbar or other tools.
- Keyless Entry Deadbolts. Keyless entry deadbolts eliminate the need for a physical key, relying on electronic mechanisms like keypads or biometric sensors for access. These locks provide added convenience, allowing you to set personalized codes or use your fingerprint for entry. Additionally, they offer better access control and the ability to monitor entry and exit logs.
- Smart Deadbolts. Smart deadbolts are a modern innovation that combines keyless entry with smart home technology. They allow you to control your deadbolt remotely using a smartphone app or integrate it with other smart home devices for added convenience and security. Some smart deadbolts even feature built-in alarms that notify you of forced entry attempts.
At Eastway Lock & Key, Inc., our experienced locksmiths can guide you in selecting the best deadbolt for your home or business and ensure its professional installation for maximum protection. Contact us today to see all your options.