These burglary prevention tips, when used around your home, can not only save you money on your homeowner’s insurance, but can also save you the aggravation of experiencing a theft of your personal belongings.
Burglars succeed too often because of obvious mistakes. But there are clear steps to limit burglary risk to your home when you’re away.
There are some things you can do — installing deadbolt locks or double key locks (in doors with glass), getting a dog, or installing a home-security system — these require planning far in advance. Here are 16 easier precautions you can take:
Burglary Prevention Tips for Outside Your Home
- Stop the mail or ask a friend to get it.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to park their cars in your driveway and to come inside occasionally and change curtain positions.
- Install motion-sensor lights where a burglar can’t easily unscrew the bulbs.
- Follow the 3/6 rule: Trim shrubs in front of the house to no higher than 3 feet from the ground, and trim trees so that the lowest branches are at least 6 feet up (less hiding room for burglars).
- Don’t hide a spare key anywhere that’s remotely obvious. Better yet, don’t hide one outside at all.
- Secure first-floor air conditioners with a bracket outside and a sliding window lock on each side of the window frame.
Burglary Prevention Tips for Inside Your Home
- Keep empty boxes (especially from pricey items) in the garage until garbage day.
- Cover garage windows so that no one knows whether a car is inside.
- Lock up ladders and tools that could be used to break in.
- Leave a radio on, tuned to a talk-show station.
- Put lamps on a timer, preferably one that comes on and goes off at a different time each day.
- Turn down the phone’s ringer.
- Consider placing safety film over windows near door handles to make glass hard to smash.
- Hide valuables in a hollowed-out book or a fake wall outlet, for example.
- Bolt down safes so that they can’t be picked up and carried out.
- Place a solid stick in slider tracks.
These are just a few burglary prevention tips for keeping your home safe from thieves while you’re away on vacation this summer. Some of these things may even help get you a discount on your homeowners insurance. Tell us what other tips and tricks you use for keeping your home safe while you’re away. And don’t forget, Eastway Lock & Key can help make sure you’re properly protected with the right locks on your doors as well as other security methods we provide. Call us today… 704-347-1088.